Millipedes and Centipedes
- 1/16 inch to 2 inches long (commonly); rounded
- dark brown to gray, sometimes clear
- two pair of legs per segment
- common in pest monitors; curl up when dead
- 1/8 inch to 2 inches long (commonly); flatter
- yellowish to brown
- one pair of legs per segment
- lay eggs in soil or organic material
- need high moisture
- areas of high moisture, especially in basements, wash rooms, etc.
- under bark, under organic material, under rocks, etc.
- millipedes: decaying/moist organic material
- centipedes: predatory on other insects and spiders
- can be a nuisance indoors
- presence of either indicates a moisture issue inside or outside of the building
- not a health risk
- Reduce or eliminate moisture issues indoors and outdoors.
- Exclude entry via caulking, weather stripping, door sweeps, screens, etc.
- Vacuum when present.