- resemble very large mosquitoes
- thin, elongate body and extremely long legs
- do not have biting mouthparts
- breed in moist areas with abundant vegetation
- some breed in turfgrass
- larvae feed on roots, grasses and other organic matter
- occasionally enter buildings when a door or window is left open
- cannot survive indoors for long
- Control is typically not necessary.
- Install properly-fitting screens on all windows.
- Keep doors and windows closed or open with properly fitted screens.