Western Leaf-footed Bug
- 3/4 - 1 inch long
- brown in color with a white band across the back
- flat, leaf-like projections on hind legs
- similar in appearance to western conifer seed bug; distinguished by thorn-like projection extending from the head
- often found on desert plants such as palm trees, Joshua trees and yuccas
- aggregate in protected areas outdoors
- can overwinter in buildings and homes
- wide range of flowering plants and ornamentals
- fruits and nuts
- thistles and other weeds in spring
- outbreaks may occur after mild winters
- may overwinter on or in buildings or temporarily cluster on the sides of buildings, causing a nuisance
- Eliminate weeds in landscaping around the building.
- Equip foundation and attic vents with tight-fitting screens, especially during warmer months.
- Find and seal any exterior cracks.
- Vacuum adults that enter buildings.