- 3/8 - 1/2 inch long; elongate oval shape
- adults: dark brown to black with pale yellow band around the wing covers containing six spots
- larvae: dark brown; covered in long brown hairs; two spines on the end of the body that curve upward toward the rear of the body; 1/2 inch long
- typically found indoors feeding on rodent carcasses or on high protein food
- bore into materials such as wood and insulation to nest and plug the nest entrance
- animal products including dead animals, meats, cheese, powdered milk, dried pet food and dried insects
- primarily breed in food storage areas or in areas where dead insects or rodents are found
- Inspect all incoming food items for pests.
- Locate and dispose of infested items.
- Clean up all spilled food products and food storage shelves and storage areas in general.
- Store all susceptible food items in pest-proof containers.
- Keep food in regular rotation.
- Change insect monitors and service mouse traps and multi-catch traps on a regular basis.