- plant with upright growth and long slender leaves that grow 2 – 12 inches long and 1/4 inch wide
- flower stalks are hollow and grow 1 – 3 feet high
- a yellow, starburst-shaped flower head forms at the tip of each stem; green
- sepals extend beyond ray flowers and stems are enlarged directly below flower heads
- flower heads mature to large white, globe-shaped fluffy seed heads
each brown seed is carried in the wind by a parachute of white fluff
- commonly grows in planting beds
- biennial that produces grass-like rosette the first year and stalks and flower heads the second year
- foliage dies back to the ground with fall frost\
- flower production occurs mid-spring through early fall; blooms are open during sunny mornings and close by afternoon
- Hand-pull plants in planting beds prior to seed maturation.
- Apply a mulch layer 3 inches deep on planting beds to reduce seed germination.
- Apply an appropriate post-emergent herbicide directly to target weeds.