- clump-forming habit; grows 4 inches – 3 feet tall
- short, fringed ligule; leaf buds are rolled lengthwise in a protective sheath
- cylindrical flower head with densely clustered floret
- produces 5,000-12,000 seeds per plant which can remain viable for 6 years
- tolerant of dry conditions
- lawns, gardens, cropland and open spaces
- annual; germinates starting in spring and anytime throughout the year
- seeds are able to germinate 2 to 4 months after maturing
- Hand-pull plants in planting beds prior to seed maturation.
- Maintain healthy, competitive desirable vegetation.
- Apply an appropriate pre-emergent herbicide prior to seed germination in early spring and again in mid-summer.
- Selective herbicides containing quinclorac are also effective, but only within 2 to 3 weeks after germination.