Downy Brome (Cheatgrass)
- grass with upright growth (up to 2 feet tall) and flat blades that are hairy on both sides; ligules are membranous and ragged
- bristle-like flower/seed heads with soft, feathery appearance
- foliage changes color from green to purple to light brown as plant matures and available moisture declines in summer months
- planting beds and other under-maintained areas including lawn areas
- winter or summer annual; seedlings germinate in autumn or early spring
- rapid growth with seed production by late spring
- Hand-pull plants in planting beds prior to seed maturation.
- Apply a mulch layer 3 inches deep on planting beds to reduce seed germination.
- Apply an appropriate post-emergent herbicide directly to target weeds.