- 3 – 6 inches long
- hairy tail with short hairs
- make runways/tunnels in turf, mulch, etc.
- burrow in the ground along runways
- prefer areas of heavy ground cover
- cause damage to turf and ornamental plantings
- occasionally enter buildings by accident, but do not become established indoors
- damage lawns, gardens, sports and agricultural fields
- damage underground utility cables and irrigation pipes
- harm trees by stripping bark and chewing on roots
- Reduce clutter outside.
- Use snap traps placed with triggers in vole runways.
- Eliminate weeds, ground cover, mulch and dense ornamental plantings that provide food and shelter during warm weather.
- Rodenticides may be necessary for control in large areas.
For more information, see our Voles fact sheet.