- two nodes (bumps between middle and rear body sections)
- light to dark brown in color with fine grooves lining the head and thorax (middle body section)
- legs and antennae lighter in color than the rest of the body
- workers of one size
- characteristically produce small mounds at the entry of nests
- nests often located outdoors under stones, pavement cracks, wood, next to buildings and under building foundations
- enter homes through cracks in concrete
- nest in walls, under floors and around sinks
- typically swarm in spring after rain; can swarm indoors
- prefer greasy and protein materials such as meats, pet food, sweets, bread, nuts and insects
- contaminate foods and food-prep areas
- nuisance pest indoors and outdoors
- Inspect: locate and destroy nests.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Dispose of trash regularly.
- Clean spills and food daily.
- Fix leaking pipes/plumbing.
- Seal potential ant entryways.
- Use insecticidal baits.